Sunday, October 14, 2007

Saturday Midnight in the early 90s

Back then there were horror or atleast slightly suspensful shows on. 'Twilight Zone', 'Tales from the Darkside', 'Monsters', and on really late the black and white 'Outer Limits'. Most of the independant stations in Long Beach played some of these and it often meant bouncing between 13, 9, and 5 to catch which ones were on at the right time and once in a while you'd be treated to a movie like 'Dolls', 'Return of the Living Dead'or 'Silver Bullet'.


And then there was 'Dracula: the Series'. A precusor to 'Buffy' that played more on the camp side and for a long time I wasn't sure really existed. I think it would be shown twice. Once in the morning and once at around midnight. I caught more of the midnight one than the morning trying to distance myself a bit from the cartoons of my youth or what have you. It was the first time I had a show that was basically mine. It was like a secret that was shared only between me, my siblings and a couple of friend. But all of a sudden it disappeared.

Since all of this was well before the height of the internet and back then only a select group of people would exchange information and the possibility of putting a whole episode of something into cyberspace seemed impossible I'd have to wait. And start to doubt that the show existed. Because there have been a few times I'm not a 100% sure if something happened or if I just imagined it.

But now I own it and dispite there being a few times where I wonder why I have such loyalty to this show it's not as bad as what happened when I revisited some things from that age. If I can meet the child I was that thought 'Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves' was a good movie I'd like to kick his ass. I'm sure people would pull me off him eventually but he'll understand later.

But I've learned I can't trust what I use to think was good.

No comments: