Friday, December 7, 2007

Meeting a Legend

Before I left Long Beach I drove across the bridge to San Pedro and visited Bukowski's grave. Didn't learn anything great or interesting from it. Hell I didn't even bring along a drink and toast him. Instead I sat there on a chilly February day and thought about my life and if I had the courage to continue with my current choices. And no answers came to me on that late winter day.

But what did I expect from a corpse?

I started working on a show that has an interesting concept but could have used 3 more tech rehearsals and a stage manager but that's not the point. It ends tomorrow and before long I'll have forgotten about ths show like most of the others except one thing:
Artis the Spoonman.

Come on don't tell me you don't remember Soundgarden? The song 'Spoonman' not ringing a bell? How could it not, after all that guy felt 'the rhythm with his hands.'

But he is performing in this show and today I had brief conversation with him and the professional kept it on the level and didn't give some kind of gushing compliments about his playing and asking questions about his life and telling him I remember hearing 'Spoonman' on KROQ in the 90s and while I'd always thinking of 'Black Hole Sun' when someone mentioned Soundgarden it'd be 'Spoonman' I prefered.
Kind of sucks to be a professional sometimes. But it does save embarrassment.

But he still told me I did a good job and thanked me for my hard work and I told he did a really good job. He seemed to smirk and I got back to setting up some run lights. Not the greatest situation but later I did go back and have a moment of shock and awe (the good kind) And maybe it meant something and maybe it didn't. Probably overall he was being nice like most performers try to be when they see techs working hard but no matter what else I take from this show I did get to meet the Spoonman.

----------------
Now playing: Vincent Price - Ramshackle
via FoxyTunes

No comments: